Saturday, September 5, 2015

TRAVEL DAY

Off to Minnepolis in an hour for 3 days. The Great Bury The Ashes Trip. Not sure what to wear for this sort of thing so have packed everything I own. Delta charges for a checked bag it seems. $25. How dare they. It's getting like RyanAir over here. I will be driven to the airport here, which is nice, and met at the airport there, also nice. Will be staying with the journalist/columnist major Peg fan and his family. He's covering the Minnesota State Fair this weekend so I am invited to tag along, where he's also set up interviews with papers and local radio etc. Have already been interviewed by the Rochester Post Bulletin--Peg's home town, where Mayo Clinic is. Tuesday I will be driven out to the cemetery where it seems I own 8 plots and will try not to fall in when I lay Peg and Odd's ashes in one of them, between Peg's mother and father. A relative still owns a flower shop in town so she's kindly done flowers, both for parents and assorted great aunts who I figured needed a posy or two since no one else is doing it.

I should eat something but am too nervous. Plus a disgusting lamb curry I made last night from a US magazine is still weighing heavily. Was trying to use freezer food so defrosted a boned leg. Unfortunately had guests so spent the evening apologizing for the food. Ended up inviting them to stay here while I'm gone instead of some crap motel in Lee and they have taken me up on it.  Delighted. They drove up in a  1930 Bugatti or something and seems drive 90 min to some car show at Lyme Rock every day. Guess you have to like cars. 

Excellent rooftop news: John the Roofer came yesterday just as the last of the 3 sets of realtors of the day were leaving, and he and The Boys not only fixed the leak (we hope, been too sunny to tell) with new slates, but snipped off the four million feet of dead satellite and TV antennae wiring hanging from windows and roofs and attics that even had clematis growing up it by now--AND then went around to the front of the house and put up the ladder and crawled WAY up top and removed the two huge defunct not to mention unsightly TV antennae tat have been up there since the 60s.

Time to move. Just hope I have the right fucking ashes.




No comments:

Post a Comment