Thursday, September 3, 2015

ANOTHER REALTOR DAY

One of whom told me, right off, before even saying hello--or in the same breath--to get rid of the hall carpet because it smelled. 

She's right, it does. Well, compared to what has been here in the past SATURATED with collie pee, it most certainly does not smell, it merely exudes a vaguely musty scent, which of course increases in hot humid weather, which it is.

So I guess the fucker's coming up. And in the den. And on the stairs. And in the back red bedroom and little hall. Had thought of all this, I swear, but we'd run out of room in the dumpster. Now I guess I order another. There's still about 6 or 7 laden butch-guy trips down from the attic yet to make, plus the basement, which is disgusting. Plus the pile of rubbish "hidden" next to the garage behind a pretty white stockade-like fence. And there's still painting to do, and some wallpaper-ripping off. 

Despite her sensitive nose, I did warm to this Sothebys lady after a bit. And seems we have a number of things/ acquaintances in common. My cousin Leah for example was at one time Alfred Taubman's (head honcho of Sothebys until jailed for insider trading or whatever) flight attendant on his private jet. She adored him but loathed Mrs. T, a bossy former Miss Israel who accused Leah of stealing or breaking some special wine. I was happy to be able to inform Leah that according to Sir Christopher someone I met at lunch one day in Sussex--the guy ran Christie's--Mrs. Taubman was in fact not Miss Israel, she was only Miss Haifa Beach Runner-Up. He told me to tell Leah to file that and use it when she needed it. And I believe she did.

Anyhow, Gladys did a huge sell job/snow job on how great Sothebys is and what they can do for me and wow, yes, it's certainly impressive and awfully tempting to throw myself down on the smelly carpet and yes "Oh yes yes please PLEASE sell my house !!" but am sorry to report she did utter those less-than-magic words: "But, well, this IS Becket, after all..". So. The jury is out until I see a selling plan, later next week.

I really really liked the one from Benchmark, the one before her, at 10:30. Have a nice feeling about her, we definitely gelled. Is that how you spell gelled? It looks peculiar. Anyhow 2 more coming tomorrow. My head is spinning. 

Am pleased to report that all the realtors think I did an absolutely stunning job negotiating on the boundary issue. I am letting them think I am canny and wise.

Then it was a mad dash to Berkshire Optical or whatever it's called, stars of the highest order because they kindly rushed me a new pair of sunglasses in 2 days. And half the price of in the UK.

I'm trying to think of more good news.

Nope.

Oh, replaced the tortoiseshell hair clip I lost somewhere, today at Rite-Aid. That pleased me. It was right before I lost Tory's car keys at Berkshire Organic and spent 20 minutes along with everyone in the store searching through vegetables to see if I dropped them into the cauliflower or coriander. Found them in my purse.

I am almost now completely in full zombie mode. I am waking up throughout the night. I hate it. I cried twice today, both when I hurt myself. Once getting out of the car and cracked my shoulder, the other when I hit my head on the butcher block after retrieving a pen. 

I'm greatly looking forward to Minnesota on Saturday. Who would have thought putting your parents' ashes in the ground would be something to get excited about. James Lileks from the Star-Tribune is meeting my plane and will be looking after me for 3 days. He just texted asking my wine preference, red or white. I told him both, one for each hand.

No comments:

Post a Comment