Tuesday, September 8, 2015

THE DAY I BURIED MY PARENTS' ASHES

My Facebook post of a few moments ago:

"A bright, sunny day at Maple Grove Cemetery in Kasson. MN. The interment of Margaret Lynch Ronning and Odd Knut Ronning. At 11AM today. James Lileks of the Minneapolis Star Tribune and I stood in front of the granite stone marked "LYNCH", purchased in 1918 by my grandmother Frances, today crowned by beautiful red roses and pine boughs designed by cousin Kim at Renning's Florist in Rochester. James had (masterfully) taken Peg and Odd's favorite song off a 78 (now buried with them), Grieg's "Jeg Elsker Deg" (I LOVE YOU). The scratchy notes of the tenor's voice rang out across the deserted cemetery as we both stood silently saying good bye to Peg and Odd. 

Who will now reside in perpetuity (ish) in a white metal trunk. Well, inside a box inside a white metal trunk. Their ashes are in an "urn", which resembles a row of classic books, whose titles I have adjusted ever so slightly, the center one reading "Our Perfect Daughter by Peg and Odd Ronning". Peg has a rather glam leopard jewel box devoted to her, full of carefully chosen mementoes and photos; Odd a Norsk wooden box full of other carefully selected treasures. 

I stayed until I made sure the gravedigger had buried the box and covered it well, then placed flowers over on my grandparents' graves, my great grandparents' graves, and those of my two favorite aunts.

I then got on a plane. Now I am sad."

















No comments:

Post a Comment