Tuesday, August 12, 2014

BEAUTY DAY

Well, for some. Took Peg to Hair Fashions by Tina for a lovely wash and blow dry, as opposed to the old lady tight curls look she normally favors. Looks great. Then to Guido's to buy a thank-you plant for the girls at the re-hab clinic at Laurel Lake Nursing Home, who were delighted by the unexpected visit, and gift, and card (all Peg's idea). They also want any books Peg's disposing of for their library, which pleased me, because it means Peg will dispose of them now and stop hoarding. I checked with Accounts there too to make sure all the paperwork had indeed gone off to Genworth, and they said yes, twice they've Faxed it now, even though Genworth is saying no, they haven't. I hate this kind of back and forth, like trying to sort out a fight on the playground.

From Laurel Lake we hit Lucky Nails in Lee, Korean nail bar, and Peg got the second manicure she's ever had. Was fascinated. Nails now filed and a lovely shade of peach. I waited, no book, no magazine, listening to an elderly woman from Florida but here in the Berkshires for the summer, who wouldn't shut up.  New York accent. Strident voice. Piercing. "Hey! I've schmeered a nail. Look. See? I've schmeered this. Someone? Who can help me here? See how it's schemeered?"  Loud enough to be heard in Miami but Peg didn't notice her, busy getting all the Korean girls' names and addresses and inviting them for Thanksgiving.

From Lucky Nails we went next door to the Starving Artist Cafe, me for a coffee and granola bar, Peg for not very good onion soup and a strawberry crepe, both of which she said  tasted the same, so all in all not a hugely successful stop.

But what I have learned from this is that she needs to get out more. This place has been a cocoon for 45 years, the caterpillar needs to get her wings! And I will take her while I am here! Because I am a wonderful caring daughter! (As long as she stays nice to me.)
_________________
STAFF ON CALL: Outside Bob, who hauled earlier-marked- out crap from the garage, basement, attic, and dog pen onto his trailer and thence to the Becket Town Dump (sticker required: $40, though elderly can get one for $20). After which he returned and we re-loaded the trailer with earlier- marked-out stuff for his tag sale. I worry I might have priced things too high. I guess we'll find out. This is Becket, not Walberswick. Maybe there is indeed someone who wants an old 20 Cup coffee urn for $5.00. Or two folding suitcase holders for a guest room for $3.00. Or a dictionary in Norwegian for 50¢ (a steal).

Just as he was pulling out to take it all to his place, Peg caught sight of it and said "Hey! Are those all MY things? I LOVE that chair!" I lied and said the rattan seat was ripped. 

Will I go to hell do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment