Monday, March 9, 2015

WHILING AWAY THE HOURS

"Doctor, You've Got To Be Kidding", starring Sandra Dee and Celeste Holm. Seen it? This afternoon's feature film on Turner Classics. Peg lasted 30 seconds and is now kipping in the chair. We've had two walks today, to the elevator and back. Two meals. Cut-up banana with half & half and sugar. Minced barbecued chicken, mash, and grey spinach, followed by a strange version of strawberry shortcake using frozen strawberries and what looked like a bread roll. Peg ate the whipped cream.

Yesterday she asked me whether I thought her old secretary Toby Sutton was still alive. Actor Frank Sutton's widow (he was the sergeant in Gomer Pyle). Peg said their son taught at Dartmouth, so googled him, emailed him, he answered immediately, gave me Toby's number in NYC, said his mom would be thrilled to hear from Peg. So today Peg rang her and they chatted forever, Peg with tears in her eyes the whole time. Toby worked for her in the 1950s. She's now 91. And will be renting a car and driving up to see Peg "when the snow melts".

Outside Bob was at the house today, his tasks being to chip away the iceberg from outside the front door (ice on roof melting then freezing into a lake), re-set all the clocks to Daylight Savings, fix two lamps in my room, and start making copies of all the DVDs I made of Peg's TV shows in case Peg again decides to bury them in her office again, gone forever until someone discovers them in a time capsule full of odd socks and catheter bags 500 years from now.

Terri has now arrived for the next shift so I now head to Berkshire Bank safety deposit box for bonds that have matured, then fill out the 900,000 forms and have a few arguments with bank managers who will want Peg in there to sign them herself in front of them--I can see it all now. Then hit Price Chopper again, which is in the process of remodeling and you're roaming around behind ladders looking for stuff. Then home to continue shoveling. Peg's office crap, that is, not snow.

______________
Home now. Eating popcorn for dinner and I'm sorry to say the TV is on, CNN, after having had a short go with the Weather Channel for old time's sake while I cooked ford inner guests tomorrow. It's just noise while I work, am not really listening. Still immersed in final edits for DK's memoirs, Key Changes. Still getting info to the wonderful Claire in the UK who is putting together a video of Peg for Comic Relief. Should be done by tomorrow. Watch this space.

Meanwhile, have discovered boxes full of file folders filled with Peg's old business accounts dating back to 1940. What do I do with these? Oregon, methinks, straight into her archive. But need to go through it all first in case any hidden treasures are lurking.

I don't like Paul Newman popcorn. No taste. Not buying it again. (Not that it stops me from finishing it.)

Still a bit peculiar being in the house all by myself. I don't really mind it. In fact am finding it rather soothing, in a way. I miss hubby and son but not having a Man U game blaring nonstop in the background makes a nice change. 

No comments:

Post a Comment