Saturday, March 21, 2015

BACK ON COURSE

A tearful good-bye in Becket. Don't know how long Peg's lasted but I needed Kleenex until about Huntington on Rte 20 E. towards the Pike. Terri was there for Peg however, as was Bonnie, plus Oslo the Owl flew in, after three days gone a-hunting, to wave goodbye from atop the satellite dish. 

I can report a safe and smooth 11 PM Virgin Airways flight from Boston, three seats to myself, thanks to an especially kind Virgin guy at check-in. Flight preceded by a much needed and much appreciated lobster roll and glass of pinot grigio at Logan's branch of Durgen Park, major seafood restaurant which has been a feature of Boston for donkey's years. Lobster roll preceeded by a turkey sandwich from Starbucks I took one bite of and pitched in the bin. Revolting.

No sign of the eclipse, though we landed at the exact same moment apparently, Brit time. But, being Britain, a large dense cloud cover hung over Heathrow. Anyway I didn't even know about it, plus wouldn't have been over excited anyway, I was much more interested in the new Dreamliner plane which has all sorts of good new features including touch screen TV and touch screen windows that darken or lighten on demand, a new stylish kind of air vent, and better loos, although sinks still not big enough: in order to spit when you brush your teeth, you're still pressing your head against the mirror or towel dispenser. "Dear Richard…" 

Don't know about the food, had one small bottle of water, that's it. Only bad part was I think US Customs nicked my navy cashmere sweater. It was on top, in the bottom zippered part of my suitcase, but not there when I unpacked. I brought back a lot of Norwegian pewter this time so I suppose they were checking out all the metal. Next time I put mousetraps in.

We had a Happy Homecoming meal at the Anchor last night, all very cosy, and today Mabel and I had a long walk through the reed beds together. Kevin the electrician arrived at 8 this morning to finally put a light in the coat cupboard I've been swearing over the lack of for five years. I think I am more excited about this light that about Den's book coming out. 

No comments:

Post a Comment