Thursday, March 5, 2015

ALONE IN BECKET

A first. But not as unpleasant as I'd imagined. At least, so far. Maybe I was just tired. Returned here about 8 PM yesterday after seeing Peg at Berkshire Place. House cold and dark. Convinced those 6 foot icicles hanging off the roof way above the front door were going to come down and spear me.
All curtains drawn, inside. Kind of spooky but as I said, too tired to care. Bonnie had my bed made with the cozy flannels, which lived up to all expectations.

When I arrived at Logan after the world's bumpiest flight--the kind where you're thrown in the air; I'd had 3 seats to myself so was lying down trying to kip, with TWO seat belts around me, like being on an ambulance gurney which itself was on a trampoline someone else was jumping on--there was a message from Terri, to call her, Terri who has hardly left Peg's side. Seems Peg woke from a  nap unable to breathe and was desperate for Terri to ring me and tell me she was dying.

Just what you need to hear driving on the Mass Pike at night in a snowstorm.

They did  a chest x-ray, Peg has a low grade infection in her lungs: pneumonia. So is now on antibiotics.

Anyhow by the time I arrived she was sitting up in the lobby, hair freshly done, pretty jumper on, and looking like she had when I'd last seen her. And repeating herself all over the place with the stories we'd heard nine thousand times, the only difference being she no longer remembers names or places or punch lines, so the stories have lost a bit of their punch. Also, who asked? But she can't stay in the present for long, anymore. It used to be about 50-50, this jumping around from the here and now to something that happened in, say, 1934.  Yesterday it became so relentless that after about an hour of it I was almost sorry I'd come. What a nice thing for a daughter to say.

Am going in today after Bonnie gets here. She's working on Peg's taxes. I need to sign about two dozen pay checks for staff, too, since Peg hasn't been up to it. Money continuing to flow out of this place at an alarming rate. Plus more General Stuff has accumulated in my absence, much like the 10 foot snowdrifts outside the house. Depressing. I will have to roll up my sleeves later. Peg's quarters are the usual shambles, worse than I've ever seen. Also, all the Christmas decorations are still up (or were, until I yanked everything down about an hour ago), decorations which are clearly new, because I had taken everything to Goodwill last summer.

Onwards to Berkshiure Place, via Wal Mart to buy a new phone charger for my USA cell I seem to have lost. 

No comments:

Post a Comment