Sunday, March 15, 2015

WEIRD THINGS HAPPENING

The first being that Peg, when she's awake, is watching non-stop soccer. I have come 3,000 miles to (still) have a stupid football game blaring out of a TV, the difference being Peg is watching it on her new RAI Italia Channel, so I get top volume commentary and crowd noise in Italian.

The second weird thing is AOL. For the past week or so, in fact even since I got here, it has kept making appearances when I haven't asked for it. Such as one or two tabs already open when I go to log in, sometimes more. An irritation at best. However. You know how with AOL it gives you your location when you log on? Well it does, right under your username. Pittsfield, MA, or Southwold, England and so on. I notice that many of these uninvited AOL tabs say "Weston, CT", which is too weird for words, since I haven't been there since mid August. Thoughts? Gremlins? Or?

The third weird thing is that I have been in the States almost two weeks now and have had no inclination whatsoever to buy a doughnut, oatmeal raisin cookie, or pecan sticky bun. The idea in fact seems to appall me. This is worrying. Normally I'm salivating in anticipation by about Iceland.
__________________
Peg managed to stand up without help from bed today and got off the toilet by herself. I'm sure her physical strength will return the longer she's in her own home--also with the rehab and physio the VNA (Visiting Nurses) will provide here for about six weeks. 

I can't say the same however for her mind. Maybe it'll improve but...she still asked what she was supposed to do when she woke up this morning (the answer being :"Get up! Get out of bed! Greet the day! Have bacon and eggs!")

And then last night when I got her up from her nap on the loveseat in front of the fire she was speaking almost total nonsense, kept trying to think of some word,  but couldn't describe it, said something about Norway and blankets.....it reminded me of the time I woke her up from a pre dinner nap back in Fairfield, I must have been about 10. I had to shake her a bit, after which she sat up, opened her eyes, looked at me, smiled, and I said "Mama, it's dinner time. We've been calling you. Come have dinner!" (My grandmother lived with us and cooked). 

Peg nodded and said, "Have you ordered the gondola?"

"What?" I said, pausing at the door.

"The gondola! How else will we get there?" 

At which point Peg stood up and went to the phone. "I'll call down to the concierge," she says, and a few other worrying phrases, by which time I was close to hysterics and thinking my mother had lost her mind and so started to shake her, sobbing "We're not in Venice, Mama, we're in Connecticut! Mama! Don't do this, please don't DO this!"

Meaning, Peg's confusion upon awakening is actually nothing too new and you'd think I'd be used to it. Nope!


No comments:

Post a Comment