Sunday, April 20, 2014

IN MY EASTER BONNET

Daddy on phone to Peg: "What day is it? It's Saturday."
Me yelling in from kitchen: "It's not Saturday, it's Sunday."
Daddy to Peg: "She says it's Sunday."
Daddy calling to me: "What holiday is it again?"
Me: "Easter!"
Daddy to Peg: "It's Easter."  
Daddy to me: "Peggy says it's Easter." 
_____________________
HIGHLIGHTS:

- Peg saying it's unfair I'm doing the Blue Books without her (3 more done today, yippee!) so will leave some for her to "augment", I'll do the basic filling. I guarantee you that within two days of her return she'll have this place awash in photocopies and duplicates again. Fortunately I won't be here to be annoyed. Though I will of course manage a soupçon of ill-disguised long distant pique, something I excel in. Funny, isn't it, how a week ago I thought I had lost my amazing Ma and would look at her little black shoe and cry, and in no time at all, here I am, back being able to be irritated by her. Talk about Easter Miracles.

- Finding and catching the dog, which has no collar, no license, no sense of how to behave, and a long empty needle-nosed space where a brain should be--before it went any further into the 28 acres of Ronning woods towards the Kushi Center for Macrobiotic Cookery on Leland Road. This is a dog which, like all the other collies which have had the misfortune to be owned and fattened by Peg, is "not allowed out without a leash" but which for the past year has been trotting quite happily (vaguely) near me when I head out the drive to get the mail. My mistake was possibly in letting it come out into the back yard with me, an area it had never seen, but I needed air before I was again overcome by claustrophobia and started breaking glass to get out. And thought the dog might enjoy the outing. Closed my eyes for a moment in a plastic garden chair and when I opened them: no dog. 
______________________
STAFF ON CALL:

Easter Bunny (me in disguise; don't tell Odd)
______________________
I feel flu-ey today. Chills. Aches. Sneezes. Nauseous. I keep taking aspirin then feel better for a bit and think I'm over it but--no. I don't know if it's real or simply a reaction to this past week coupled with being called "Peggy" all the time and, just now, when I called Odd to dinner (spare ribs and parslied potatoes), "Thank, you Mama!" Mama?? Do any of them ever grow up, I ask you.
_____________________
SPECIAL MENTION:

Today is Amy Price's wedding day. I am pleased for her, even though I hear she's marrying an actor, but then again, she was never the brightest spark, even though she sings nicely. DK can fill you in if you need more info, it would bore me to death to get into this right now.
______________________

No comments:

Post a Comment