Saturday, January 24, 2015

MIDNIGHT NEWS

Actually it was closer to 1:00 AM when I hear the vibrations from my cell phone on the dresser--and leap for it to quick take it into the bathroom and shut the door so I don't keep DK awake, because it can only be YOU KNOW WHO. And sure enough, it is. 

 "I've been trying to call you for six hours!"

"What's wrong?"

"You're phone doesn't work, I've been trying for SIX HOURS!  Six!"

"My phone is fine, Mother, I've been using it all day. So what's wrong?"

"They've been here today outside, out by the road, fixing the lines--"

"Verizon. Yes, I knew that. Bonnie told me. Mama, it was YOUR phone most likely that didn't work. And do they all work now? And the internet?"

"What's your phone number--let me get a pencil--" 

"It's the same one I always have, that you just called, that you call me on all the time! Mother if you need me you know can always ring the house phone, yes? Or Denis', or Alex's. You have all their numbers." 

"I don't have any other numbers."

"Yes. You do. Who's there with you now? Dominick?"  I can hear him in the background reading off phone numbers to her.

"Yes. Do you want to talk to him?"

"No! You called me! Anyhow what is it? What's wrong? Why'd you call? It's freezing in here."

"I couldn't reach you. I tried all day!"

"Well you have now and it's quarter to one in the morning and we were asleep so I will call you tomorrow if that's okay. Goodnight."

"Goodnight."

"How's your mother?" Den says, from his side as I crawl back into bed.

"Same."


No comments:

Post a Comment