Wednesday, January 14, 2015

EVEN KEEL


The Famous Boundary Agreement was yesterday signed sealed and delivered (pending an OK from Berkshire Bank, and we don't see a problem there, famous last words). Mike Sanders and his lawyer went over to Peg's and we had a FaceTime conference call while they went over the quit claims, read them all out, and Peg signed on the dotted line. Or not, as it happened, since she signed her name wrong and there was a bit of a palaver as a copy of that particular page had to be brought up on the computer then get the printer to recognize the laptop and---so on. While waiting for all this, and I hung on making small talk about the weather, Peg tried to introduce the Lack of Collie Puppies In Her Life but I nixed that sharpishly, as did Bonnie, even from the other room, changing the subject to short ribs. Anyhow it's all finally done. Sanders said he also had "some ideas" if I wanted to discuss the Leland Road acreage at some point. I do indeed. This is where the frontage is on the Becket property that COULD be parceled off as building plots. In a pinch. 

Other than that, it's been quiet. When I don't hear from Peg I have to assume she is happy (ish), which pleases me, since my having to dash over there then seems less urgent. So I have put travel plans on hold. Besides which I'm not feeling 100% yet. Thinner, though, which is nice, having had no alcohol in two weeks and have cut out sugar, having lost the taste for it. The idea of a cookie makes me gag. (Hopefully this will right itself in time.) 

So am busying myself working through The List over here, taking advantage of the lull before the storm--because there is SURE one to be brewing. So: 

- Typed up an interview I'd done with my dad five years ago about his time in Falstad Prison in Norway during the war. Had promised a copy to the head archivist there (it's now a museum) but hadn't got round to it. 

- Had a slew of head shots taken of DK yesterday. The last decent pics of him are about 20 years old and we need some for PR for his upcoming memoirs launch. 

- Pruned the roses and cleared dead stuff from two beds and would have raked pine cones but Mabel became annoying trying to eat the rake.

- Got a video ready of an old Ethel and Albert for Comic Relief, Red Nose day in March.

- Found someone to help me turn DK's memoirs into epub and other digital formats. Am sure I can do this myself now, at least for next time.

- Found a landscape designer to re-think this garden/driveway to incorporate New Peg Hutte. The New Peg Hutte she now doesn't want to move into.

- Watched a run-thru of this year's village panto, A Christmas Carol, and gave them my notes, for what they're worth. And again managed to say "no" when it came to getting involved in the running crew. I think I'm prouder of that than anything I've mananged to accomplish ever in Becket. In fact, am going to say "no" all the time I've decided, to everything, now that I've discovered how good I am at it.

And--that's about it. Will continue writing a novel about an incident in Peg's life which has kinda taken my fancy. And hope that Peg meanwhile stays focused on Minnesota because that is keeping her going, as are her pills, which she is now letting Terri oversee at nights. I see on her online banking that she has  bought a silver Claddagh ring for Dominick. Not that I wanted one, or indeed any gift, I have far too much crap in my life. Still. I didn't notice any Christmas gifts winging their way over here.


No comments:

Post a Comment