Wednesday, November 12, 2014

TO BECKET OR NOT TO BECKET

I'm over here getting no sleep and keeping DK awake coughing and sneezing and spluttering and in fact wishing at this very moment that my nose would stop dripping onto the keyboard and my eyes would stop watering long enough to at least type a sentence, and meanwhile fretting about when to book my flight to Boston and will my sinuses be all right flying by next week because God knows I don't want my ears to pop and make me deaf for a week like they did last year--and now Peg is suddenly acting surprised to hear I'm coming over, although we've been discussing this for month. And, as of the last phone call, is absolutely insistent that she's "OK" and that I am not to fly over there "and give everyone your cold". So that's where we are. Plus the two people I need to meet with are going to be away now I hear, the whole time I'll be there, almost to the day. 

So I don't know what to do. Still. Terri (Staff) can be there for her birthday, she assures me, and for Thanksgiving, so Peg won't be alone. Still. Or did I just say that. 

Meanwhile, Outside Bob has successfully managed to install a $6.35 camera from eBay onto the PC there and hook Peg up to Skype. And it works. We checked it yesterday. Ever the set decorator, I had Bob leaping up ladders rearranging the signed wall photos from celebrities behind where Peg sat so the good ones showed more i.e. Basil Rathbone, Helen Hayes, Margaret Hamilton. "Boy, she's still a pain in the ass and she's not even here!" Bob grumbled good naturedly (maybe).

Anyhow I can now give the green light to two Peg SKYPE interviews, one from an online magazine here in the UK for their column "Awesome Old Lady of the Month" (my favourite sample question being "What is your night time beauty routine?", can't wait to hear the answer to that one, hope the word "catheter" doesn't feature) and the other from some radio station. Have just sent digital copies of five of Peg's scripts and a DVD of her performing to the Motion Picture Retirement something in LA, the idea being that old retired film people will perform for camera Peg's comedy shows. Instead of I suppose basket weaving and flower arranging. A publishing company wants to publish her scripts, am trying to hammer out a deal as we speak. Lileks from the Minneapolis Star Tribune is bringing out his piece on her later this month, "as a birthday present for her" he said. And am in the process of getting her shows on the radio here in England.

Plus chased up both the auctioneers who disappeared with quite a bit of her stuff last summer and found out we have about $3000, possibly more, coming in from some silver, a fire screen, and a Tower of London flintlock musket. So money is in place until January, by which time I will need to have drummed up more. From God knows where. The other auctioneer is not answering my emails and has clearly retired to Barbados on proceeds from the Becket house. 

Mike the Boundary Guy, my new best friend, is going to advise me on the sale of the Becket property when its time, and figure our pricing and parceling out land plots to sell separately or keep as bargaining points. 

So not all is looking bleak, by any means. It just seems that way when you don't feel well. And the thought of a still-full 8 bedroom house on 28 acres all needing your attention--looms.
____________
MEDICAL UPDATE:

Peg has had her first visit to her speech therapist, who has told her to stop clearing her throat and to cough instead. Peg's thrilled. Coughing a lot (join the club) but thrilled.





No comments:

Post a Comment