Friday, August 21, 2015

LAWYERS

Considering a lawsuit re the funeral home and ashes mix-up. Not sure if I have the energy or inclination or funds but lawyers speechless by what's happened so--who knows.

The trunk to hold Peg and Odd's ashes--and of course whosoever feels like joining them, am not particular anymore, all welcome--has been shipped to Minnesota, full of mementos, pics, STUFF to bury with them, which UPS kindly did for me for $20.

Got through a few more boxes last night, lawyer friend Paul who I've known since 3rd grade and his beautiful Kate, retired archivist--made me understand that almost everything could go on to Peg's archive in Oregon and THEY could deal with it, tax and business records from the 40s, 50s and 60s, none of which interest me one whit, save a cancelled check I found from 1968 from Peg to my boyfriend Rob for $350 (paying him to be nice to me despite me being a shite to him perhaps), but so much of the stuff deals with her show and  expenses and I suppose, okay, might be of interest to someone someday if they're doing a book on what it cost to own and produce and write and star in a TV show in the 1950s. 

I scanned about 40 letters today, including one from my grandmother, Peg's ma,  to her husband, Peg's pa, 4 days before he died of the Spanish flu in 1918--chastising him for not writing more. This is before she knew he was sick. Made me cry.

Outside Bob's last day for 2 weeks, which also made me cry, there's still so much to do, but we got some carpet underlays down from the attic into the dumpster, and the upstairs hall painted, and about 9 brass carpet things for doorjambs put it so you don't trip. There must be real name for these.

Did a phone interview re Peg with some 2 year old who had not done his homework, for the Rochester Post Bulletin. Told him to ring me back tomorrow after he'd read her website, that we're wasting time asking me stuff like when was she BORN, thank you. Where do they find these guys.

Designer Friend David came round and we moved furniture for 2 hours, "decorating the set", which we are very good at--and finally the living room is beginning to look like a living room and the den like a den, not counting a lovely pink oriental carpet which looks great but stinks to high heaven of possibly dog pee, so it may have to hit the dumpster.

Cancelled my flight home next week. Sadly but hey. No choice. Virgin Atlantic not charging me for a date change, thanks to Peg dying. Very kind. 

Big worry: I am starting to really like the house, for the first time in 45 years. 

Also worrying that I am becoming boring, so closing before I start thinking of all the wonderful times I had with my ma and getting teary.

More houseguests tomorrow. Hope they like leftovers and scanning shit.




No comments:

Post a Comment