Tuesday, October 13, 2015

TWO NIGHTS TO GO

I seem to only sit down when I am in the car. Yesterday the borrowed Saab started right up, every time, which thrilled me, so as a reward I put the top down, all the way home from Williamstown, about 45 min. Weather glorious until I hit Hinsdale, which is in shadow behind the mountain as the sun sets and the temperature suddenly went from 75 (honest) to about minus forty, and me with no sweater and hair blowing madly and, yes, looking extremely cool, granted, barreling along Rte 8, but had to pried out from behind the wheel when I got home, being frozen into fourth gear.

So. The countdown begins. One bag packed, three to go. 1st extra bag on Virgin is £55, the next is £120. Don't ask about the third. I feel the need to get all my stuff OUT of here. It's been accumulating, after all, since 1970. I have left clothes in my closet here, and my chest of drawers, for the last 20 years. Goodwill did very well out of me (not to mention Peg and Odd) but there is still--well. 20 years worth. And anything Peg-Important I will have to hand carry. DVD one-offs, gold jewelry, gold coins, scrapbooks, essentials like maple-bacon flavored Snyder's pretzel pieces for my son...Pack Mule Inc.

The Hillbillies ring every day. I never recognize Donald's voice and sadly he no longer feels the need to identify himself:

"Hello?"
"Hi!"
PAUSE "Er.."
"It's me!"
PAUSE  "Er.."
"It's Don!!!!!"
"Oh. Hello, Donald."
"I was wondering if you wanted me to plow the drive."
"Er..is it snowing?" [It's 74 degrees out]
"Ha ha!!! No!!! I mean this winter!!!!!"
"Right. Well. Let me see what Delaney charges and---"
"Whatever he charges I will charge half of that! HALF!!"
"Oh. Well. The thing is, whoever plows the drive I need to be able to count on, see, I can't have your truck breaking down [as it does every fucking day] or needing an axle or--"
"All I need is $500 and I'm getting the new transmission and Russell and I will be putting it in! Like tomorrow. And if it breaks, I have snowblowers!"
"It's kind of a long driveway for snowblowers, Donald. Like sweeping the Mass Pike with a toothbrush."
"Ha ha ha!!! Toothbrush!!! Hey! Me and Russel'll be coming down to get the ladder if Ken's done with it. Bout ten minutes. We don't need paying or nuthin. Just a 30 case o'Bud!!! (beer: Budweiser)

So, Ken is indeed done with Don's ladder, having washed then repainted the trim on every window in the house (plus washed it), plus did the eaves trim and the back and front door and yesterday and today has been hard at work scraping and painting the laundry room, pantry, and back entry, formerly red, now white, and all French doors. Saturday he starts work for my friend David J in Middlefield putting up sheetrock, whatever that is, and sticking in insulation made from recycled blue jeans. I'll be outta here by then. If I can get past Don and his snowblower blockade in the driveway.

I feel--dazed. Went for a spa pedicure and gel manicure today, treated myself, and sat there in the chair having my feet and calves rubbed as I watched some endless House Restore program on the big TV at the Vietnamese nail parlor--and realized tears were running down my cheeks. For no reason in particular, they just started and didn't stop until I got to the Big Y supermarket for loo paper and Lysol Wipes and Cinch garbage bags (I remember when I use to go shoe and handbag shopping) and I came out pushing my cart and the rain had stopped and there was an enormous rainbow that went from one mountain to the other and, I tell you, with the blazing fall colors behind it, it stopped me in my tracks. And, more good news, the Saab started for me, first time. I think it feels sorry for me.

I miss sitting here and not hearing the weather channel and Turner Classic movies. 










No comments:

Post a Comment